While clinical depression is real, it may be more rare than you think. What if it could be lessoned? What if it could be a mere memory in your life?
This week (listen here) we discuss an article titled “Depression is A Disease of Civilization: Hunter-Gatherers Hold the Key to the Cure” from Back to Now which reviews the book, “The Depression Cure.”
Depression, The Epidemic
Why are we the Prozac nation?
Stats from Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance:
- Major depressive disorder affects approximately 14.8 million American adults, or about 6.7% of the U.S. population age 18 or older, in a given year.
- 25% of cancer patients experience it. (National Institute of Mental Health, 2002)
- Strokes: 10-27% of post-stroke patients experience it. (National Institute of Mental Health, 2002)
- Heart attacks: 1 in 3 heart attack survivors experience it. (National Institute of Mental Health, 2002)
- Women experience it at twice the rate of men. This 2:1 ratio exists regardless of racial or ethnic background or economic status. The lifetime prevalence of major depression is 20-26% for women and 8-12% for men. (Journal of the American Medical Association, 1996)
- Major depressive disorder is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. for ages 15-44. (World Health Organization, 2004)
- It is the cause of over two-thirds of the 30,000 reported suicides in the U.S. each year. (White House Conference on Mental Health, 1999)
Depression, A Disease of civilization
99.9% of our genes were formed before agriculture. From a biological perspective we are still hunter-gatherers. We are not evolved to live our modern-day, stressed out lives.
Nutrition, digestion, stress management, sleep, mindfulness, fitness and play are integral components to creating an entire lifestyle that balances our modern-day lives with principals from our past to improve health, emotional well-being, and performance.
We CAN lesson the effects of modern-day, non-clinical depression by connecting to our most primal selves. Find out how by clicking!
Book: The Depression Cure
Are you ready to explore a new way?